Whose Your Role Model?

Related image
Role models are significant to have in life. They inspire others to become better than what others perceive them to be. They can also impact significant decisions made to achieve one’s aspirations. One can also learn from their role model. As once stated by Tionne Watkins, “A role model can teach you to love and respect yourself.” Additionally, regardless of the situation, they can provide essential advice during difficult circumstances. In the novel, “The Other Wes Moore,” the author demonstrates the importance of having a role model throughout chapters seven to eight. Similar to the characters within the novel, my personal life displays the importance of having someone to learn and imitate from.
Image result for role modelTo begin with, most individuals often place their parents as someone they admire and imitate. Certainly, parents, particularly my parents, are perfect examples of what good role models are. However, personally, those outside our household can also significantly impact our lives to a greater extent. Throughout high school, there was one individual that was able to shape my personal thoughts about myself. This individual was my AP American History teacher, Mr. Farrell. As a 13-year-old, I often struggled with believing in myself, believing that I was not capable in doing anything I wanted to do. However, once placed into his class, he taught me that I was a very smart girl who can accomplish anything placed into my hands. He has also taught me that I am worth more than what I can imagine; I have the drive and ability to succeed at any university, and have independent minded views, tremendous analytical skills, and leaderships skills. Through his praise and advice, I become more involved and ran for positions in clubs and organizations. Because of this, I became the President of both the Science and Math National Honors Society, Secretary of the Italian National Honors Society, Historian of the National Honors Society, Senior Senator of Student Government, and Secretary for the youth society at my church. Indeed, Mr. Farrell gave me the confidence to do things I never did before.

        In like manner, Wes Moore had various role models in which he looked up to. However, aside from his family and friends, there are three individuals in particular that significantly impacted Moore’s life: Lieutenant Colonel Murnane, Rear Admiral Hill, and Colonel Billy Murphy. Each individual taught Moore a valuable lesson. Lieutenant Colonel Murnane taught Moore the importance of public service. Rear Admiral Hill taught Moore that leadership “always comes with having to make tough decisions.” As for Colonel Billy Murphy, he taught him that life is transient. In having all three individuals as his role models, Moore’s personality changed significantly, impacting his decision to stay at Valley Forge for junior college in order to become second lieutenant in the Army. Also, there valuable lessons enabled Moore to become the regimental commander for the 70th Corps of Cadets, and the youngest officer in the United States military. While Moore was significantly impacted by the advice given from his role models, the other Wes Moore was negatively impacted from his role model, Tony. In following his brother’s motto, “send a message,” and drug selling and addiction, the other Wes Moore longs for a better life. To escape, Moore joins the Jobs Corps program and successfully graduates. Unfortunately, his past decisions in having children with a drug addict and someone he barely knew, caused him to go back to selling drugs. Eventually, he once again connects with his brother, and ends up in getting into serious trouble by killing a police officer. As a result of this, Moore gets sent to life in prison without parole.

Furthermore, a role model is someone that can be looked up to for advice. They also teach valuable life lessons that can help shape one’s life, personality, and notions. Overall, in chapters seven through eight, both Wes Moore follow their role models’ lessons and are significantly impacted by it. As a result of this, Wes Moore becomes successful in the military, while the other Wes Moore is sentenced to prison for life. Similarly, my role model, Mr. Farrell, taught me how to have more confidence in what I do, and in who I am. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Literacy Development Journey

What Is Your Commitment?

Personal Choices Lead to Consequences